Saturday, March 7, 2009

Beet Burgers






So... I am the opposite of a culinary artist. I'm more like culinary recycling artist. Matt says I should make a Youtube channel with videos of me cooking.


Here's how I made this beauty of a supper:



Thawed some organic hamburger we got from some friends for Matt's working on their basement. When I started, I was thinking: meatloaf maybe.

Well, then I looked in my fridge and saw the leftover chopped up beets and carrots that I had mixed with apples and made into a not-very-appetizing smoothie, I decided to add these to the thawed hamburger. I also saw some leftover spaghetti sauce that I had made in a blender using cheap spaghetti sauce and blending in the green tops of the beets and some onion (also not the best--so I also added some salsa), so I threw that in with the beets and carrots. Just for kicks I threw in an egg and a bunch of uncooked oatmeal. (Keep in mind that Matt is watching with his mouth hanging open). Then I threw in a little olive oil and sea salt.


At this point I decided to make hamburger patties instead of meatloaf because we were hungry and wanted to eat sooner than later. I got out my double burner griddle: and they pretty much burned right away.. I guess the carrots and beets didn't like the high temps.. So then I switched to a pan with a lid and turned down the heat.. I decided I had too many burgers so I mushed them together and got a nice little loaf which I cooked at 350 for a while then froze.

I served them on some awesome whole wheat bread my sister bought for me from Sam's Club (no high fructose corn syrup!) Matt and I used some leftover beet greens as our "lettuce" on the sandwiches. Everyone ate one (kids included) and the verdict was: Edible and sort of Good. I can't say repeatable because it would be way too much work to make this sort of thing.. But I learned some things about how to be a better culinary recycler.

I ended up using the leftover beetburgers to augment my beans and rice and onions and taco seasoning staple: pretty good. And I added crumbled them up in the remaining leftover spaghetti sauce and served with leftover spaghetti.

One post note: I do not do the "culinary recycling" because I am trying to save money.. although it is a fun sport that has a side effect of monetary savings. I simply like to cook this way, and now I have almost gotten to the point where I couldn't go back. Recipes are suggestions, and I seldom if ever follow them without making additions or changes. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not.. most of the time it does--cheese and ketchup work wonders..






Anyway, there you go, Ms. Kaela. You asked for a post and you got one!!!!! :) Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. HAHA Thanks! and p.s. that burger looked good and sounded horrid. haha! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so me!! Wow, I never knew there was a name for that method of cooking! I feel so official now. Mark learned a long time ago to stop asking "What's in this?" Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Prayer Intentions

  • ~For humility and joy.
  • ~For truth to reign in the hearts of men.
  • ~Thank you, Jesus, for the precious gift of family and friends.
  • ~For the grace to be a good mommy!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Mandie DeVries is a wife, homeschooling mother of 6 children, and a catechist of the Good Shepherd. She received recognition as a CGS Level I Formation Leader by the National Association in September 2015 and is currently studying for her Masters in Theology at St. Meinrad School of Theology. For several years she wrote a weekly article about adventures in Catholic parenthood and CGS-related vignettes for her parish blog and parish bulletin called "Faith Formation Begins at Home." She continues that work today on several blogs: faithformationbeginsathome.blogspot.com, cgsformaion.blogspot.com, and familyfiat.blogspot.com.