Thursday, September 3, 2009

Free Time

So I just took a moment to stand still today, thinking, as I sometimes do. I noticed that although I was standing still, my house was still working. I realized that:
  • The dryer was drying clothes
  • The washer was washing bedding
  • The dishwasher was cleaning up the dishes
  • The stove was cooling from heating my supper
  • The fridge was cooling the sauce I pre-made for supper
  • The lights were on (more than need be!)
  • The bathtub was draining
  • The air conditioner was blowing (at least the fan was on)
  • My cell phone was ringing
  • AND My kids were eating ice cream that I grabbed out of the deep freeze

And I realized: I don't keep house! I run a factory of machines, a bastion of efficiency. So here I sit at my computer to wonder at the life we lead that would be totally incomprehensible to those who lived and died just 80 years ago. My great-great grandmother could have spent her WHOLE day just doing laundry and preparing meals. My great-great grandfather could have spent half of his day just getting to the field and back.

So amidst all of this humming of machinery I must ask myself: what was the meaning of life BEFORE free time and productivity? I mean, if in most of human history, people were about 1/20th as efficient as I am in 21st century America, leisure is really a modern invention, along with multi-tasking! It seems to me that many of us live for the free time, the hobbies, Facebook, favorite movies and books. We thrive on emailing, internet shopping, talking on the phone, and driving all at the same time. But what did my great, great grandparents live for? You know back when the pace was slower and more measured? I doubt the answer is laundry. What did they thrive on? Were they happy? Were they happier?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Intentions

  • ~For humility and joy.
  • ~For truth to reign in the hearts of men.
  • ~Thank you, Jesus, for the precious gift of family and friends.
  • ~For the grace to be a good mommy!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Mandie DeVries is a wife, homeschooling mother of 6 children, and a catechist of the Good Shepherd. She received recognition as a CGS Level I Formation Leader by the National Association in September 2015 and is currently studying for her Masters in Theology at St. Meinrad School of Theology. For several years she wrote a weekly article about adventures in Catholic parenthood and CGS-related vignettes for her parish blog and parish bulletin called "Faith Formation Begins at Home." She continues that work today on several blogs: faithformationbeginsathome.blogspot.com, cgsformaion.blogspot.com, and familyfiat.blogspot.com.